The importer-exporter code unique 10 digit code allotted by the Director General of Foreign Trade under Section 7 of the Foreign Trade (Development & Regulation) Act, 1992 (22 of 1992) shall be indicated on all copies of the declaration forms submitted by the exporter to the specified authority and in all correspondence of the exporter with the authorised dealer or the Reserve Bank, as the case may be.
Para 2.08 of the HBP (2015-20) states the procedure to be followed for obtaining an IEC, which is PAN based. As on date PAN has one to one correlation with IEC.
After the introduction of GST, business entities who want Import Export Code require to file application online to DGFT and after approval and registration the PAN number of the entity will be recorded as IEC Code.
An IEC number allotted to an applicant shall be valid for all its branches/divisions/units/factories. It is valid for life.
Therefore, to import or export, the Goods in India, IEC Code is mandatory. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number. On the basis of IEC, entities can obtain various benefits on their exports/ imports from DGFT, Customs, and Export Promotion Council etc. Therefore, inorder to avail export promotion benefits like MEIS, SEIS etc. IEC Code is mandatory.
The Trade Notice No.09 dated 12th June, 2017, introduces the following changes in IEC with the introduction of GST:
Ease of Doing Business
- It has been decided that importer/exporter would need to declare only GSTIN at the time of import and export of goods.
- Henceforth (with the implementation of GST), PAN of an entity will be used for the purpose of IEC, i.e. IEC will be issued by DGFT with the difference that it will be alpha-numeric (instead of 10 digit numeric at present) and will be same as PAN of an entity.
- For new applicants, w.e.f. the notified date, application for IEC will be made to DGFT and the applicant’s PAN will be authorized as IEC.
- For residuary categories under Para 2.07 of HBP 2015-20, the IEC will be either UIN issued by GSTN and authorized by DGFT or any common number to be notified by DGFT.
For the existing IEC holders
- For the existing IEC holders, necessary changes in the system are being carried out by DGFT so that their PAN becomes their IEC.
- DGFT system will undertake this migration and the existing IEC holders are not required to undertake any additional exercise in this regard.
- IEC holders are required to quote their PAN (in place of existing IEC) in all their future documentation, w.e.f. the notified date.
- The legacy data which is based on IEC would be converted into PAN based in due course of time.
Further Notification No 24/20145-20 dated 08th August 2018, amends and revise the provisions of Para 2.05, of the Foreign Trade Policy (2015-20) on IEC by virtue of which,
- For Services exports IEC shall be necessary as per the provisions in Chapter 3, only when service provider is taking benefits under the FTP.
- Application Process for IEC Code is completely online and IEC can be generated by the applicant as per the procedure detailed in the Handbook of Procedure.
Information and Documents required for applying IEC Code
- Email and Mobile Number of the entity
- PAN Card of the entity
- Registered Address of the Entity
- Statutory Document - MOA/AOA/Incorporation Certificate/Partnership Deed etc
- Nature of Activity of the Entity
- Entities Bank Name, Bank Account Number, Branch Name, IFSC Code
- Owners/Promoters and Directors details viz Name, ID & Address Proof, PAN and Contact details
- Branch Address (if any)
- Sales Deed/Rental Agreement/Lease Agreement for the Entities Address along with Electricity Bill or Telephone Bill or Property Tax Paid Receipt
- Bank Certificate/ Pre-printed Cancelled Cheque
- The filling fee of Import export code is Rs. 500. This fee to be deposit online while applying of Import Export Code (IEC).
- Signed Application Form for IEC
We also offer other sorts of registration services as below:
- Registration under Karnataka Shops and Commercial Establishments Act 1961
- MSME or Udyog Aadhar Registration
- Professional Tax Registration
- Registration under Employee Provident Fund
- Registration under Employee State Insurance
- STPI or Non STPI Registration
- Trade License from BBMP
- APEDA Registration