The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been established under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 which consolidates various acts & orders that have hitherto handled food related issues in various Ministries and Departments. FSSAI has been created for laying down science-based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
Highlights of the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006
Various central Acts like Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954, Fruit Products Order, 1955, Meat Food Products Order, 1973, Vegetable Oil Products Control) Order, 1947, Edible Oils Packaging (Regulation Order 1988, Solvent Extracted Oil, De Oiled Meal and Edible Flour (Control) Order, 1967, Milk and Milk Products Order, 1992 etc are repealed from 5th August 2011 after commencement of FSS Act, 2006. The Act also aims to establish a single reference point for all matters relating to food safety and standards, by moving from multi-level, multi-departmental control to a single line of command. To this effect, the Act establishes an independent statutory Authority – the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India with head office in Delhi. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and the State Food Safety Authorities shall enforce various provisions of the Act.
FSSAI has been mandated by the FSS Act, 2006 for performing the following functions:
TYPES OF FSSAI LICENSING
As per Section 31(1) of FSS Act, 2006 every Food Business Operator in the country is required to be licensed under the Food Safety &Standards Authority of India. The licensing and registration procedure and requirements are regulated by Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of food Business) Regulations, 2011. Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS) external link is an online system launched by FSSAI to facilitate FBOs in India to apply for license / registration certificate and help them track their applications during processing.
FAQs on FSSAI Licensing and Registration
As per in ‘FSS (Licensing & Registration) Regulations, 2011, Licenses and Registrations are granted to FBOs in a 3-tier system, viz;
List of FBOs falling under Different Categories
|Registration||Central Licensing||State Licensing|
|• Manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder; or distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer;
• Such other food businesses including small scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakhs and/or whose
• Production capacity of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not exceed 100 kg/ltr per day or
• Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 litres of milk per day or
• Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
|• Dairy units including milk chilling units equipped to handle or process more than 50,000 litres of liquid milk/day or 2500 MT of milk solid per annum.
• Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit having installed capacity more than 2 MT per day.
• All slaughter houses equipped to slaughter more than 50 large animals or 150 or more small animals including sheep and goats or 1000 or more poultry birds per day.
• Meat processing units equipped to handle or process more than 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
• All food processing units other than mentioned under (I) to (IV) including relabellers and repackers having installed capacity more than 2 MT/day except grains, cereals and pulses milling units.
• 100 % Export Oriented Units.
• All Importers importing food items including food ingredients and additives for commercial use.
• All food business operators manufacturing/ processing/ importing any proprietary food for which NOC has been given by FSSAI.
• Registered/ Head office of FBOs operating in two or more states.
• Food catering services in establishments and units under Central government Agencies like Railways, Air and airport, Seaport, Defence etc.
• Hotels with 5 star and above accreditation.
• All E-commerce food businesses.
|All FBOs except mentioned in Column 1 and 2
All grains, cereals and pulses milling units.
Registrations are granted to small or petty FBOs whose annual turnover does not exceed Rs. 12 lakhs. Registrations are granted by the Registering Authority who may be Designated Officer/ Food Safety Officer or any official in Panchayat, Municipal Corporation or any other local body or Panchayat in an area, notified by the State Food Safety Commissioner.
Documents required while applying for a Registration
Registration Card should be exhibited at a prominent place of business premises.
We also offer other sorts of registration services as below: